Canadian Sawn Wood Certification Program
The Canadian Sawn Wood Certification Program (CSWCP) is a system-based phytosanitary program administered by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). The program provides the basis for the phytosanitary certification of sawn wood to countries that have accepted the CSWCP.
Facilities must complete the following steps to participate in this program:
- seek the service of a CLSAB Accredited Agency,
- develop a phytosanitary management system specific to the program requirements,
- submit the manual outlining the procedures and practices of the phytosanitary management system including elements described in CFIA Directive D-17-04, for evaluation and approval by a CLSAB Accredited Agency
- complete an application form
- pay the appropriate CFIA fee to the CLSAB Accredited Agency
Click here for a list of CSWCP registered facilities.
Click here for a copy of CFIA Directive D-17-04.
Information for shipments to Australia
- Lumber produced under the CSWCP between December 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021 is recognized as being free from brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys) risk under a safeguarding arrangement. Shipments during this timeframe must be accompanied by a CSWCP certificate with the following in the declaration statement:
“All goods included on this certificate were produced between 1 December 2020 and 30 April 2021 and are free from brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys).”
- Lumber produced under the CSWCP between May 1, 2021 and November 30, 2021 is not considered part of the safeguarding arrangement. To meet the import requirements, lumber will need to be treated with heat, sulfuryl fluoride, or methyl bromide prior to entering Australia.
Please be advised that lumber exported to Australia under the CSWCP:
- between December 1, 2020 and April 30, 2021 may be subject to verification inspection upon arrival at a rate of 5% of shipments from Canada.
- between May 1, 2021 and November 30, 2021 will be subject to verification upon arrival.
Click here for additional information on the safeguarding arrangement with Australia.
Click here for additional information on shipments to Australia between May 1, 2021 and November 30, 2021.